You undoubtedly lead a very busy life. And if you’re juggling multiple priorities, you’ve probably complained about being swamped. If you want more time in your day and to be more effective in your home business, then read on…
We all can probably see the need to better manage our time to some extent, especially with a home business. The manner in which we perform our tasks each day and the sequence in which we perform them has a profound effect on how much we get out of life. Better managing your time can make the difference in whether or not you experience stress. Simply put, bad time management equals stress.
Effective time management starts with examining the extent to which your current activities pay off for you – whether or not they contribute to your success. So what’s your payoff? Here are 5 tips to help you determine this:
- Identify your goals. Well defined goals serve as a roadmap for your time management. Be sure to set SMART (Specific, Measurable, Aligned, Results-focused and Time-bound) goals which can save you time by establishing goals that are not random choices. This will also allow you to be more dedicated to accomplishing your objectives.
- Examine your time usage. Once you have a clear picture of what your goals and priorities are, then you should carefully examine how you divide your time among the various activities. That’s where the 80/20 Rule comes in… You should take steps to focus 80% of your attention on the 20% of your projects that bring you closer to accomplishing your goals. This means making sure you spend the bulk of your time on tasks that are either income-producing or lead-producing.
- Identify low-payoff activities. Challenge why you are doing something. Why do you perform the tasks that you do? What would happen if you stopped a certain task? Would you still be able to achieve success in your home business? Are the tasks that you perform helping you to achieve your high-priority goals?
- Create and prioritize “To Do” lists. Start with a master activity list of everything you need to complete over the next week. Make your To Do list more effective by breaking tasks down into small, specific steps.
- Schedule your daily activities. Once you have your master list of activities, you should next specify the day you intend to accomplish each of the activity. A good planner/organizer, whether paper or electronic, will make this activity more manageable. Once half of the activities have been crossed off your list, transfer the remaining activities to a newer page.
The key to effective time management, and home business success, is planning. Keep in mind that you have more control over your day when you identify those low-payoff activities, write down and prioritize your To Do lists, and then schedule your daily activities. Follow these tips and you’re well on your way to success in your home business.