On February 29, Facebook introduced Timeline for Fan Pages . This announcement included some major changes to the look and feel of Fan Pages. Here are just a few of the changes you can expect when Timeline for Pages rolls out:
- Page format will be similar to Timeline for personal pages, including a cover photo at the top of the Page.
- The Page will be divided into two columns, representing the passage of time.
- Pages will allow you to feature a large, custom photo (within guidelines) AND a profile picture.
- Fan Pages/brands will be able to send and receive private messages among their users.
- As Page admin, you will be able to create your own thumbnail image for tabs – even for apps you didn’t create.
- If you have a favorite post, you will be able to make it “Sticky” by “pinning” it at the top of your updates for up to 7 days.
- Custom tabs will have a larger space – up to 780 px wide.
- No more default landing tabs – all visitors to your Page, whether fans or non fans, will be taken to your Timeline/wall.
- Fan Pages will no longer have the listing of tabs on the left-hand side of the page. The applications will still exist, but now only a limited few will be displayed beneath the cover photo. To view all available tabs, viewers will need to click a drop-down box to expand the section.
- No more free-flow of conversations – the 2-column format will fragment conversations as we have them today.
- Previews of photos currently at the top of Pages will be removed.
According to Facebook, all Fan Pages will get a new design on March 30, 2012. This gives you about 25 days to update your pages to accommodate the new Timeline format.
Do you have a Facebook Fan Page? If so, what do you think about the upcoming Facebook changes?