For most mompreneurs, blogs are a popular way to create an online presence. You can build a blog for free and begin posting content right away. But, what good is that content if no one is reading it?
While there are many successful blogs on the Internet, there are hundreds more that have failed. As a mompreneur, your blog is like running a business website. Unless you are willing to put the time in and treat it seriously, you won’t be blogging long.
That’s not to say that the failed bloggers weren’t serious about blogging. Many were very serious, but just aren’t prepared for the work that goes into creating a successful blog. Just building the blog doesn’t mean that people will necessary come to you. You have to attract your audience and give them a reason to see what you have to say. Here are ten ways you can drive traffic to your blog to help it survive.
1. Fresh Content – no one wants to visit a blog day after day and see the same posts. Update your blog content at least twice a week. This will be easier if you write several posts ahead of time and upload them at the appropriate times.
2. Article Marketing – hopefully, the niche you’ve chosen for your blog is one that interests you. That means you are more likely to spend more time doing it and writing about it. Create content not only for your blog, but also to be submitted to article directories. Use the resource box to advertise your blog so people can find you.
3. Social Networking – these sites are everywhere. Join Facebook, Twitter, MySpace, Squidoo, or a dozen others and start making connections. You can join groups of like-minded people who are also bloggers or entrepreneurs and begin building relationships.
4. Viral Marketing – this is where you spread the word about your blog. Talk to friends, family and even strangers. Give out business cards that have your blog address on them.
5. Use RSS Feeds – RSS stands for “Really Simple Syndication.” Readers can subscribe to your feed and get email updates when new content is posted. It is an easy way for them to keep up with your blog updates without spending all day online.
6. Submit Your Blog to Search Engines – doing this allows your blog to be ranked. Google and Yahoo! are two of the most popular search engines you want to crawl your blog pages. It doesn’t guarantee top ranking, though. You’ll have to do a little more work for that.
7. Participate in Forums – for mompreneurs, building relationships is crucial. Right now you are marketing yourself to find traffic and then to profit. Become a member of business forums, work at home forums and others to meet new people and share ideas. You can add a link to your blog in the signature line so others can find you.
8. Visit other blogs – show your appreciation to those who visit your blog by also posting comments on their blogs. It is a kindness that shows others you are not just out to advertise your blog alone. Add links to your blog in your comments (Hint: look for CommentLuv blogs which offer great traffic-building features).
9. SEO Marketing – when writing your blog posts, use relevant keywords. Keyword density between three and ten percent is good for getting higher page rankings in search engines. Base your keywords on a research you do to find the most popular words used in search engines for your niche.
10. Social Bookmarking – submitting posts to social bookmarking sites allows others who are members of those sites to track you back to your blog.
By implementing these ideas, you will start the traffic moving in your direction. It takes time but you will soon build the readership you want.